DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Think Tanks 2 Ideas and Development

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

Do you think a TT2 is a good idea and even possible to make?

Yes!
6%
Yes but it will take a lot of work
55%
Not sure...
9%
No way!
24%
I love TT how it is!
6%

Total votes: 33

Ice mom KT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Think Tanks 2 Ideas and Development

Post by Ice mom KT »

I'm starting a thread for Tanks Tanks 2 ideas and development. Here is a list of what has been worked out so far:

People interested/people willing to help
No skill is need to help out with this project. Beta testers are needed.. and we are still looking for people willing to help.

Cylicon460
Ice Mom
Warfare
Fishtank
DJ Wings
TMG Leader
00E
Jedirieb
Ultimatedood
Taylor
AAA
parCAT

We are thinking of using Cube 2 as a game engine and we will need modders and scripters. Creating a TT2 would mean we would not be able to use any of the original content that was created my Garage Games. We would also need to copyright the name "Think Tanks 2." Doing this would mean independence from Garage Games. We would also no longer have issues with glitches that "cannot be replicated." Garage Games has lost interest in us as a community and turned there attention to IA. If Think Tanks is to survive, we must draw new players in by creating a new and improved Think Tanks! Don't forget to vote! We need as many votes as possible for a good community opinion.
Last edited by Ice mom KT on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: Think Tanks 2 Ideas

Post by 00E »

As you know I love to mod! I would be more than willing to help you out with this! Hey, if it means cash... Hell Yeah! Jk... Anyway just put me up as interested in helping and give me something to do!

I've Been Looking For Some TT Excitement For Quite Some Time!

Get Back To Me ASAP,
00E

P.S. If you need me to set up a forum for chat let me know...
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by jedirieb »

I would love to help with a task like this. Granted, I don't have a lot of free time, nor a special skill to help with (ie. modding, scripting, etc.), I'm willing to help in whatever way possible.
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)
Ice mom KT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Ice mom KT »

Any help is great. Once we get a beta worked out a you and a few other people can test for errors. No skill is need to help here.
Taylor
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Taylor »

Sounds cool... I just hope it's not too different from the TT we have now.

lol, here's a pic for it:

TT2.png
TT2.png (32.87 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
I signed up on New Years!
Macs Rule!
Proud BMT Member
Cylicon460
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Cylicon460 »

Cyl wrote:I'd also like to be a part of this if it really does take off. If we really are doing a ThinkTanks 2.0, then it should be majorly (sp?) different than ThinkTanks 1 we are playing now. By this I mean a new Client UI. I would be willing to work on that. I think it would be cool to experiment with different looks for TT, and possibly a few built-in UIs.

Also, if needed, I can help re-create the Stock Maps, Stock Remixes, and any other well-known maps you'd like to see show up first on TT2.

Cyl
I'd love to see this get going!
Ice mom KT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Ice mom KT »

^ Not yet... We can't rush this if we want it to turn out good.
00E wrote:If you go through with this which I think will happen I'd be willing to make some default maps... although, I don't know much about this new Cube Game Engine (CGE) But I'd be willing to give it a try! Surprisingly enough we'd probably be able to keep a good amount of the stuff on TT... We could use Scyth's awesome radar, All of our own created shapes we use... We'd have to make a new reload gate but that doesn't seem to hard... Also we would have to change the appearance of the tank but I'm sure someone with brains could do that... I know I'm getting way ahead of myself... I'm just excited... What would our (Co.) be called? Hmmm... Again, this would be absolutely awesome if it went through...

Cheers,
00E
We can't rush this if we want it to turn out good. there is still a lot to take into consideration here. This project will require advanced scrpiters that are will to spend time on this. We will also need A few good modders and skinners. We would need somebody willing to copyright "TT2." The biggest question is are we and should we sell this for a profit? If so how do we divide up the money? ( my vote would be we split the money evenly to all who helped on this. If we sell it ) And if all of this gets going smoothly we could have a beta ready by summer time!
Cylicon460
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Cylicon460 »

Ice mom KT wrote:^ Not yet... We can't rush this if we want it to turn out good.
00E wrote:If you go through with this which I think will happen I'd be willing to make some default maps... although, I don't know much about this new Cube Game Engine (CGE) But I'd be willing to give it a try! Surprisingly enough we'd probably be able to keep a good amount of the stuff on TT... We could use Scyth's awesome radar, All of our own created shapes we use... We'd have to make a new reload gate but that doesn't seem to hard... Also we would have to change the appearance of the tank but I'm sure someone with brains could do that... I know I'm getting way ahead of myself... I'm just excited... What would our (Co.) be called? Hmmm... Again, this would be absolutely awesome if it went through...

Cheers,
00E
We can't rush this if we want it to turn out good. there is still a lot to take into consideration here. This project will require advanced scrpiters that are will to spend time on this. We will also need A few good modders and skinners. We would need somebody willing to copyright "TT2." The biggest question is are we and should we sell this for a profit? If so how do we divide up the money? ( my vote would be we split the money evenly to all who helped on this. If we sell it ) And if all of this gets going smoothly we could have a beta ready by summer time!
If we want it to turn out good, a beta by summer? And not rush it? I think at the least the middle or end of summer, if we want a solid beta. But still, just kinda thinking out loud here. And we still haven't heard from (or at least on this topic) from the major scripters that will be the base of this project.

I was just saying what I could do to help out. I'd love to make the new TT Client UI. It would be an experience that I wouldn't forget easily.

Also, the part about the money? For a community project? That could work, depends. Again, thinking out loud when I say this, but here's the pro's and con's:

Pro's - Would pay to host PTT2; Would benefit those who put their hard work and time into this project; We could also pay for the League Data Center the Leaguers are talking about.

Con's - How would we decide how much of the money goes where; Who would we charge for TT2? Obviously not any of the people who've already bought TT1; How would be publicize TT2? It's not like GG will let us put a post or ad on their site that is competing with their products; What if someone new buys TT1? How will they figure out what's going on? We'd basically be seperating our community from the GG people by doing this.

Obviously, my con's list is a little longer, but that's because I'm just not able to think of much for the pro's atm. But still, if we can get enough people here, this would be a great idea/experience.

TT FOREVER!
Ice mom KT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Ice mom KT »

I know that this would cut the bond between Garage Games and the community but have they not already started cutting? About selling the game we could try to get other companies interested in selling it on their websites. Of course we would have to give them A significant amount of our profit... but in the long run it would most likely work out better. In the sort term we could always start up a website for selling TT2... and we as a community would get all the profit. As for the scripters I'm sure we could get a few good ones with time. I'm sure Dazzle and or Warfare would be up to it...
DJ Wings
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by DJ Wings »

I can see at least two major problems with using Sauerbraten:
-Since Sauerbraten doesn't use TorqueScript, most mods would need to be rewritten in C/C++ to work. They'd have to be compiled into the game, rather than just dropped into a folder.
-Licensing is going to be a royal pain in the @$$. The content from Sauerbraten (if we use any of it) is under a bunch of different licenses, but the bigger problem is how we'd get GarageGames to let us use any of theirs.
Another idea (which probably wouldn't work, but might be worth a try) would be to try to get an indie license from GarageGames and go through what BraveTree did to make the original. That's kind of iffy, but at least we know it would work.
Just my $0.02.
Never really gone, never really part of the game.